Saturday, November 26, 2011

Rocky Mountain Rose Favorites

Some of my favorites are what I call my garden “eye-catchers.” Their rich colors set against their beautiful, shiny, green foliage are truly a sight to behold. Now, as a rose lover for more than 40 years, I have to admit that my list of favorites is long and varying (after all, each variety is unique in its own way). But here’s a list of my top five eye-catchers, as well as a few extra-special delights. While I treasure each of these beauties in my own garden in the Rockies, many will do well in other parts of the country, too. So be sure to check with your local garden center or Extension office to see if these gorgeous bloomers are candidates for a special spot in your garden as well. Tuscan Sun (floribunda) Featuring orange- to peach-toned blooms, this very hardy rose grabs your attention with her bright rich flower color and form set against rich, medium-green foliage. And you’ll find she’s got a very light citrus fragrance. In my Colorado climate, I allow about a 2-foot-square space for this beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment